Fort Clinch: Trail Along Shore and Dunes
Please note: this trail is temporarily closed during the shorebird nesting season,
from March 16 - August 14. We will resume tours beginning August 15.
Tour Highlights Include:
- Watch Nature unfold as trail transitions from an open, sandy coastal garden of stunted trees, cactus, beach morning glories, and wild Sea Oats, out to a shaded maritime forest.
- Habitat for gopher tortoises, deer, bobcats, and marsh rabbits. Fascinating lizards, colorful birds and butterflies.
- Relaxing aromas of salty air mixed with red cedars, bayberry, and seasonal flowers.
- Fun, rolling terrain over ancient sand dune ridges. Enormous tree limbs stretch overhead, palm fronds reach out from the sides.
- Hear about plants used by Native Americans for food, shelter, and medicines.